Sunday, March 18, 2012

Book Review: Fifty Shades of Grey (Fifty Shades #1) by E.L. James **18 Yrs Above**


Fifty Shades of Grey (Fifty Shades #1)
By E.L. James
Release Date: May 26th, 2011
Number of Pages: 356
Format: ebook
Rating: ♥ 


Blurb from Goodreads:
When literature student Anastasia Steele is drafted to interview the successful young entrepreneur Christian Grey for her campus magazine, she finds him attractive, enigmatic and intimidating. Convinced their meeting went badly, she tries to put Grey out of her mind - until he happens to turn up at the out-of-town hardware store where she works part-time.

The unworldly, innocent Ana is shocked to realize she wants this man, and when he warns her to keep her distance it only makes her more desperate to get close to him. Unable to resist Ana’s quiet beauty, wit, and independent spirit, Grey admits he wants her - but on his own terms.

Shocked yet thrilled by Grey's singular erotic tastes, Ana hesitates. For all the trappings of success – his multinational businesses, his vast wealth, his loving adoptive family – Grey is man tormented by demons and consumed by the need to control. When the couple embarks on a passionate, physical and daring affair, Ana learns more about her own dark desires, as well as the Christian Grey hidden away from public scrutiny.

Can their relationship transcend physical passion? Will Ana find it in herself to submit to the self-indulgent Master? And if she does, will she still love what she finds?

Erotic, amusing, and deeply moving, the Fifty Shades Trilogy is a tale that will obsess you, possess you, and stay with you forever.

My Review:
I detest writing negative reviews. I really do. I've seen all the anticipation and hype about this book on book blogs. I've heard oh-so-swoony gushings about Fifty Shades of Grey and I have to admit that I was slightly influenced by all of it. That's why I decided to give it go and you can see the outcome of it here in my review. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Thus, I am entitled to mine. So, here goes.

I thought this was horrible. Totally terrible and I'm really sorry because I do like the cover. A lot. It is just very unfortunate that the story and I aren't compatible. I've read an erotica before and I don't have a problem with it. For example, Damaged Goods is really good and very well written.

I didn't like the main characters at all. I found them insipid and utterly childish. The relationship and BDSM angle between Ana and Christian were portrayed rather unhealthily. I felt like I was reading someone's absurd and ridiculous fantasy. I'm not saying BDSM is wrong or it is a sin. It was just badly written and totally disastrous. I felt rather traumatized after reading this.

Nevertheless, don't let my opinion stop you from picking up this book. Who knows? You may actually disagree with me. Then, you are more than welcome to debate about it here with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting and taking the time to comment. I really appreciate it! I love reading about your opinions and comments even if they differ from mine.

=D