Thursday, March 8, 2012

Book Review: The Darkest Night (Lords of the Underworld #1) by Gena Showalter **18 Yrs Above**


The Darkest Night (Lords of the Underworld #1)
By Gena Showalter 
Release Date: August 20th, 2008
Number of Pages: 374
Format: Paperback
Source: Bought
Rating: ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

Blurb from Goodreads:
His powers -- Inhuman
His passion -- Beyond immortal . . . 

All her life, Ashlyn Darrow has been tormented by voices from the past. To end the nightmare, she has come to Budapest seeking help from men rumored to have supernatural abilities, not knowing she'll be swept into the arms of Maddox, their most dangerous member -- a man trapped in a hell of his own.

Neither can resist the instant hunger than calms their torments . . . and ignites an irresistible passion. But every heated touch and burning kiss will edge them closer to destruction -- and a soul-shattering test of love...

Though they carry an eternal curse, the Lords of the Underworld are irresistibly seductive -- and unimaginably powerful . . . Don't miss this incredible new paranormal series from Gena Showalter!


My Review:
"Until you, my life was desolate. I existed. but I didn't truly live. Now I live, even in my death."

I've heard many great things about the Lords of the Underworld series and decided to give it go. I started with the prequel and liked the concept behind it but the writing didn't impressed me. Surprisingly, I enjoyed The Darkest Night and thought the writing was much better than its prequel. The story was interesting and simple to understand and I devoured it in one seating.

The Lords were a unique band of warriors cursed with a demon residing inside them which were released from Pandora's box. Actually, "Pandora's Box" was the term that intrigued me into giving this series a go. Pandora is such a famous and tragic legend and I just couldn't let this series pass me by. Gena Showalter did a great job of weaving the Greek mythology into a sizzling hot series but her construction of sentences and use of vocabularies could improve. This is because at times it sounds like I'm reading a script and at times it just sounds off.

Those are the only gripes I have with this book and other than that, I totally enjoyed it. Ashlyn was an alright heroine. She was nice and all but did not stand out like the goddess Anya. Anya only appearead towards near the end and I was already totally loving her. She's such a smartass and I'm really looking forward to reading about Lucien and her in The Darkest Kiss.

The Darkest Night is like a sinfully rich chocolate cake which I'm banned from eating but I still will - cheesy lines and all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting and taking the time to comment. I really appreciate it! I love reading about your opinions and comments even if they differ from mine.

=D