Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Book Review: Blood Red Road by Moira Young

Blood Red Road (Dust Lands #1)
By Julie Kagawa
Release Date: June 7th, 2011
Number of Pages: 459
Format: Hardcover
Source: Bought
Rating: ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ 


Blurb from Goodreads:

Saba has spent her whole life in Silverlake, a dried-up wasteland ravaged by constant sandstorms. The Wrecker civilization has long been destroyed, leaving only landfills for Saba and her family to scavenge from. That's fine by her, as long as her beloved twin brother Lugh is around. But when a monster sandstorm arrives, along with four cloaked horsemen, Saba's world is shattered. Lugh is captured, and Saba embarks on an epic quest to get him back.

Suddenly thrown into the lawless, ugly reality of the world outside of desolate Silverlake, Saba is lost without Lugh to guide her. So perhaps the most surprising thing of all is what Saba learns about herself: she's a fierce fighter, an unbeatable survivor, and a cunning opponent. And she has the power to take down a corrupt society from the inside. Teamed up with a handsome daredevil named Jack and a gang of girl revolutionaries called the Free Hawks, Saba stages a showdown that will change the course of her own civilization.

Blood Red Road has a searing pace, a poetically minimal writing style, violent action, and an epic love story. Moira Young is one of the most promising and startling new voices in teen fiction.

My Review:
**Minor Spoilers Ahead. You have been warned! Proceed at your own risk**


I think "awesome" isn't enough to convey what I feel about this book. It is the awesome of awesomeness, if that even makes any sense. I love Saba's no nonsense-bring-it-on gutsy attitude which was consistent throughout the story. I was glad she didn't contract the damsel-in-distress syndrome after all the horrors that she had gone through. I am so amazed at how Young could make you fall in love with Jack at first words aka sight. That 'oooooooooo' feeling I got when Jack was first introduced into the story was delicious.

I like how Saba's attitude and treatment towards her sister, Emmi, slowly changes. It was really nice to see the two of them finally having a sisterly bond. Lugh was mostly absent throughout the story and I hope to read more about him. I can see some sparks between him and Maev, the leader of the Freedom Hawks. I am so mighty curious about De Malo. Who is he really? All the characters in the story were wonderful and beautifully flashed out. And I wish Ike didn't have to die. Why oh why? He was one of my favourites. Everything screams 'WOW' in Blood Red Road, from the action to the romance. The writing style was rather unique. It gave off a rustic feel about the whole thing which made everything I've read seemed more real and vivid in my mind.

I am already antsy and looking forward to the second book. I wonder what adventures are awaiting me in book two? Thank you Moira for writing such a supercalafragilisticexpialidocious book. Hats off to you :D

P/S: Nero! How could I ever forget him?? I am so sorry Nero. Nero is so, so cute! At times, I even forget that Nero was just a crow. There was a passage that mentioned Nero somewhere in the middle of the book and I was like, for a moment, "Who's this Nero? Did I miss this person somewhere?" and then I was like, "Oh, yeah. Nero's the smart crow who's more like a person than an actual crow." Lol. It was so funny. Nero is like a part of Saba. If anything ever happened to him, my heart will be so broken. I've grown so fond of this human crow.

Teasers:

“Ever heard of the rule of three? he shouts as we run. 
No! 
If you save somebody's life three times, their life belongs to you. You saved my life today, that makes once. Save it twice more an I'm all yers.” 


“Yer in my blood, Saba, he says. Yer in my head. Yer in my breath, yer in my bones...gawd help me, yer everywhere. You have bin since the first moment I set eyes on you.” 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting and taking the time to comment. I really appreciate it! I love reading about your opinions and comments even if they differ from mine.

=D