Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Book Review: The Throne of Fire (Kane Chronicles #2) by Rick Riordan

The Throne of Fire (Kane Chronicles #2)
By Rick Riordan
Release Date: May 1st, 2011
Number of Pages: 452
Format: Paperback
Source: Bought
Rating: ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥


Blurb from Goodreads:
One curse. Two Heroes. Five days to save the world.


EVER SINCE THE GODS of ancient Egypt were unleashed on the modern world, Carter Kane and his sister, Sadie, have been in trouble. As decendants of the magical House of Life, they commend certain powers. But now a terrifying enemy- Apophis, the giant snake of chaos- is rising.

If Carter and Sadie don't destroy him, the world will end in five days' time.. And in order to battle the forces of chaos, they must revive the sun god Ra- a feat no magician has ever achieved. First they must search the world for the the three sections of the Book of Ra, then they have to learn how to chant it's spells...

Can the Kanes destroy Apophis before he swallowa the sun and plunges the earth into darkness...forever?

My Review:
The Griffin fixed its hungry eyes on Sadie...'Sadie,' I said, 'drop the scroll.' 
'Hello? It's stuck to my hand!' she protested. 
'And I'm on fire! Did I mention that?' 

Rick Riordan is a fantastic narrator and author. The pacing of the story was fast, action-packed and wonderful. I enjoyed all the characters; old&new, central&secondary, hero&villain.

Although there were a few minor things that bothered me, it is indeed a well deserved 5 brilliant huge stars.

The things that bothered me:
1. The romance. I think it isn't really necessary to actually HAVE romances - considering the young ages of the characters. It's rather silly when I think about my brothers around the age of Carter&Sadie being frustrated over their loves. Not really realistic. I would understand if both have reached the age of young adults - in my case, 16. But younger then that and being all sure about love, hmm, it didn't really work for me although I still find it rather sweet among all the chaos happening. Even if they have matured beyond their ages through all the experiences, I still think 13 and 14/15 are still too young to be torn over love.

2. Sadie Kane. Yea, I liked her in The Red Pyramid but my liking for her sort of flickered. God, she was rather mopy, pity-party and annoying. I know she's the opposite of Carter. She's more outspoken and rebellious. And she was rather childish at times. I didn't like how the importance was placed and emphasized on her more rather than Carter. It felt like she learnt more and was more important than Carter. I didn't like that. It made me as a reader feel that Sadie was more important and she learnt more but Carter was just there, the same. And she being torn and confused over her feelings for Anubis and Walt was rather overbearing. It got my nerves. I have no problems with Anubis and Walt. They are both wonderful. I felt that Jaz was better compared to Sadie although she was mostly dormant throughout the story.

I just felt that not much emphasis was placed on Carter and too much was on Sadie. It felt bias and one-sided. I really like Carter. He was the most stable character. I was looking for progress and added knowledge about Egyptian magic in him but was disappointed that those happened on Sadie instead - the ren and secret name thing.

I'm looking forward to the third book and really, really hope that Sadie improves. No more moping and self-pity please. Carter. Please place more emphasis on him. He is also a central character.

Thus, I end my ramblings.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting and taking the time to comment. I really appreciate it! I love reading about your opinions and comments even if they differ from mine.

=D