Monday, February 6, 2012

Book Review: From Bad to Cursed by Katie Alender

From Bad to Cursed (Bad Girls Don't Die #2)
By Katie Alender
Release Date: June 14th, 2011
Number of Pages: 442
Format: Hardcover
Source: Bought
Rating: ♥ ♥ 1/2

Blurb from Goodreads:
Alexis is the last girl you'd expect to sell her soul. She already has everything she needs--an adorable boyfriend, the perfect best friend, and a little sister who's finally recovering after being possessed by an evil spirit, then institutionalized.
Alexis is thrilled when her sister joins a club; new friends are just what Kasey needs. It's strange, though, to see how fast the girls in The Sunshine Club go from dorky and antisocial to gorgeous and popular. Soon Alexis learns that the girls have pledged an oath to a seemingly benevolent spirit named Aralt. Worried that Kasey's in over her head again, Alexis and her best friend Megan decide to investigate by joining the club themselves. At first, their connection with Aralt seems harmless. Alexis trades in her pink hair and punky clothes for a mainstream look, and quickly finds herself reveling in her newfound elegance and success.
Instead of fighting off the supernatural, Alexis can hardly remember why she joined in the first place. Surely it wasn't to destroy Aralt...why would she hurt someone who has given her so much, and asked for so little in return?

My Review:
I didn't enjoy this as much as Bad Girls Don't Die. It didn't hold my interest like I expected it too. I found myself irritated at Alexis and losing my interest by the time I was almost halfway through. And I did the guilty thing - I sped read the rest. Urgh! Alexis was so, so, so self-absorbed, smug and downright snobbish (in a way) in the book. I got so irritated with her and all my liking for her in the first book flew out the window. Poor Carter! I have to agree with him to what he said to Alexis at the end of the book.

Alexis was so full of herself that she fell into a trap that she knew better not to. It could have been avoided but no! she was cocky and now everything's a huge mess which was worst than what happened in Bad Girls Don't Die. Alexis needs to learn to have faith and trust in those that care about her. She needs to learn to ask for help instead of bearing the responsibility and doing it all on her own.

Kasey was really likable in this book and Alexis was treating her like some suspect in a murder case from the start and I felt like slapping her. Gosh! Can't she be a sister instead of questioning and suspecting everything Kasey does? Fine, Kasey got herself into a mess before and hardly any blame could be put on Alexis's treatment to Kasey but still, she could be gentler in her ways.

I wish Carter could have played a bigger role in this book as he was hardly involved in anything in the first book. I feel like Carter was just an accessory. His romance with Alexis is sweet but not convincing and deep enough. I was hoping for progress as they only became an item at the end of the first book but instead, it went downhill here. And I still haven't commented on the plot? It's infuriating and my mind kept wandering off somewhere else. It's a merry-go-round, going in circles and tumbling down to the same thing. It reminds of the famous nursery rhyme Ring Around the Rosie. Let's sing along folks!

Ring-a-ring-a-roses,
A pocket full of posies;
Hush! hush! hush! hush!
We’re all tumbled down.

Nevertheless, I will still continue on with the series as I'm curious as to how the events will turn out. The cliffhanger at the end was good enough to make any readers curious.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting and taking the time to comment. I really appreciate it! I love reading about your opinions and comments even if they differ from mine.

=D