Monday, February 20, 2012

Book Review: Gladiator: Fight for Freedom by Simon Scarrow


Gladiator: Fight for Freedom (Gladiator #1)
By Simon Scarrow
Release Date: October 6th, 2011
Number of Pages: 352
Format: Paperback
Source: Bought
Rating: ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥


Blurb from Goodreads:
It's Rome, 61 BC. Recruited as a gladiator, young Marcus Cornelius Primus faces a new life of brutal training, governed by strict rules, as he learns the skills of an elite warrior. But Marcus cannot simply forget his past. His father lies murdered by soldiers and his mother has been kidnapped and forced into slavery. Marcus is determined to find his father's old commander, Pompeius the Great, to seek justice for his family and set his mother free. Yet, unbeknown to him, Marcus is hiding a life-threatening secret. And if the Romans discover it, there will be no escape...

My Review:

Gladiator: Fight for Freedom had me clutching my hair and my heart pounding in anticipation. It is action-packed, intriguing and bloodthirsty. It was awesome. But, one thing I want to point out was I could figure out Marcus's secret early on in the book. It was kinda obvious but still great nevertheless.

Marcus is a great and very likable character although his stubbornness to keep proclaiming out loud on who he is and the injustice done to his family kinda irritated me at times. I'm glad he matured fast, a determined and strong fighter but very smart. You can literally feel and see the fire burning in him when faced with difficult situations.

A breathtaking read that takes you on a journey of ancient Rome, its cultures and traditions. Really anticipating the sequel.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting and taking the time to comment. I really appreciate it! I love reading about your opinions and comments even if they differ from mine.

=D