Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Book Review: Dark Lover (Black Dagger Brotherhood #1) by J.R. Ward **18 Yrs Above**

Dark Lover (Black Dagger Brotherhood #1)
By J.R. Ward
Release Date: September 6th, 2005
Number of Pages: 393
Format: Paperback
Source: Bought
Rating: ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥


Blurb from Goodreads:

In the shadows of the night in Caldwell, New York, there's a deadly turf war going on between vampires and their slayers. There exists a secret band of brothers like no other-six vampire warriors, defenders of their race. Yet none of them relishes killing more than Wrath, the leader of The Black Dagger Brotherhood.

The only purebred vampire left on earth, Wrath has a score to settle with the slayers who murdered his parents centuries ago. But, when one of his most trusted fighters is killed-leaving his half-breed daughter unaware of his existence or her fate-Wrath must usher her into the world of the undead-a world of sensuality beyond her wildest dreams.

My Review:

I have a huge goofy grin on my face right now. Seriously. And I feel utterly foolish, ridiculous and silly - all in a great and awesome way. I don't care that there are others saying this series is ridiculous and whatnot but I've never enjoyed an Adult Paranormal Romance like I have with this book and I know I'm tremendously late into starting this series. Nevertheless, better late than never right? The Black Dagger Brotherhood is so kickass awesome and I have Maria Mentzelidi to thank for all her gushings and persuadings. I am now officially a huge fan and convert of the BDB series. Now, on to the review.

The most important thing to me in a book is the main character. In order to fully get immerse and fall in love with the book in the process, you gotta have a connection and chemical reaction to the main characters as well as the rest of them who are going to stick around. Dark Lover has it all. I really like Beth and Wrath. They are awesome characters. Beth is perfect for Wrath because Wrath is a king. It is in his blood. He is a warrior and a leader who has a very strong will of his own and Beth has it in her as well to match his and tame him when need be. I didn't really mind the "instant attraction" paradigm used in Wrath's story. He is a vampire after all with animalistic instincts. I have to admit I kinda love the possessiveness and protectiveness they have over their loved ones and to see how much they actually cherish their shellans/hellrens and I simply have a weakness for the endearment leelan. I really enjoyed reading about and connecting with the hero and heroine.

The brothers. They are one messed up bunch but oh, so lovable. I love them all. Baggage, curses and all. It is so heartwarming to see them have each other's back, ready to defend and protect. And their banter with each other is very, very, very entertaining and OMG hilarious. I even love the doggen, Fritz. He is such an endearing character and reading his scenes was great. Even Beth's cat Boo is no exception although all it did was purr around the Brothers. Butch was a surprising one. I wasn't all that into him in the beginning. I found him a "hardass" and rather pushy-tough. But I quickly warmed up to him and totally was rooting for him with the rest of the brotherhoood all the way. It was so cute to see V and him buddying up over their fandom for the Red Sox and cozying up with the rest of the brothers. It was great to see them accepting him like one of their own - almost.

Readers have reviewed and commented that Marissa was a rather bland character. Yes, she is - in the beginning - but after that I realized I was wrong. Marissa was sheltered and protected all her life. She tries very hard to be presentable and wanting Wrath to actually want her as his true shellan. Her character is the totally opposite of Beth's. While Beth is all fire, Marissa is like a calm ocean. She is docile, elegant, naive and so innocent in so many ways. She has led a miserable life and I truly wish her to have a happy ending with Butch. I really like Marissa. I found her a very sweet character.

All in all, I'm glad that I took Maria's advice and picked up this series. Although there were LOTS of things happening all at the same time, I could wrapped my head around it and keep up with all of it. Dark Lover or I can confidently say The Black Dagger Brotherhood Series, has a healthy balance of action, hot sizzling romance, cute and hilarious banters and everything you need. I know there are some cheesiness and I seriously don't care.

Now, on to Lover Eternal.....*winks winks*

P/S: Thank god for the glossary at the beginning of the book. I would be so lost without it.


2 comments:

  1. I am in the middle of this book, and I too, can't believe have badass it is! Everyone has been telling me I will love this series, and I'm finally getting to it! Can't wait to see how the book ends, and to read the rest of the series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeap, it is a great series although I just finished reading this one. Haha.
      I have truly been converted into a BDB loyal reader.
      You will definitely LOVE it.

      Delete

Thanks for visiting and taking the time to comment. I really appreciate it! I love reading about your opinions and comments even if they differ from mine.

=D