Monday, February 20, 2012

Book Review: Ten Things I Hate About Me by Randa Abdel-Fattah


Ten Things I Hate About Me
By Randa Abdel-Fattah
Release Date: October 1st, 2006
Number of Pages: 320
Format: Paperback
Source: Bought
Rating: ♥ ♥ ♥ 


Blurb from Goodreads:

Ten Things is about Jamie, a teenage girl from Sydney’s south west who lives two lives: at school and in the outside world she is ‘Jamie’, a bottle-blonde with an apparently Anglo Aussie background; at home she is ‘Jamilah’ a Lebanese-Muslim who is proud of her cultural identity. Jamie struggles to maintain her two personas as the rules of her over-protective father collide with the normal adolescence she perceives other teenagers to have and which she so desires.

Life appears to be looking up for Jamie when the most popular boy in school begins to show an interest in her. Added to that she gets an after-school job and makes an email friend, John, the only person with whom she can be completely honest. However her fate as a social outcast appears sealed when her father’s Stone Age Charter of Curfew Rights threatens to prevent her attending the much-anticipated Year 10 formal and her Arabic band is hired to play at the formal.

My Review:

I love the cover. Very eye-catching. I love this book. I love how racism was discussed in this book and it was kinda weird to read the word "Malaysian" because I am a Malaysian. I love Jamilah's family. I could see Bilal's protectiveness towards his sisters in my big bro and it makes me feel so proud of Bilal, even with his faults and all.

Shereen is a really passionate person who is awesome in her vocabularies. Makes me feel ashamed of myself. Lol. I love all the characters in this book - Timothy, Amy, the dad, Miss Sadja, Aunt Sowsan, the quiet uncle, the madrasa gang, Lindsay and Bilal of course. But boy, do I detest Peter and his gang from the first moment they were introduced. Such dickheads.

This is a great book and every teenager out there should read it. And I'm not ashamed to be Asian and am proud of my cultural roots.

Good job Randa!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting and taking the time to comment. I really appreciate it! I love reading about your opinions and comments even if they differ from mine.

=D