Monday, February 20, 2012

Book Review: Catching Jordan by Miranda Kenneally


Catching Jordan
By Miranda Kenneally
Release Date: December 1st, 2011
Number of Pages: 252
Format: ebook
Rating: ♥ ♥ ♥ 


Blurb from Goodreads:
What girl doesn't want to be surrounded by gorgeous jocks day in and day out? Jordan Woods isn't just surrounded by hot guys, though - she leads them as the captain and quarterback on her high school football team. They all see her as one of the guys, and that's just fine. As long as she gets her athletic scholarship to a powerhouse university. But now there's a new guy in town who threatens her starring position on the team... and has her suddenly wishing to be seen as more than just a teammate.

My Review:

===MAY CONTAIN MINOR SPOILERS=== 

I really enjoyed Catching Jordan. But I just couldn't give it a 4-5 stars rating. I really like Jordan as a protagonist. I like how she is a girl and a captain and a quarterback in her high school football team. That's a first for me. It was really sweet how her teammates treat her with respect and protectiveness. Her friendship with them was so cute. And Sam Henry. AWH. I adoreeeeeee him.

Ty Green. Well, let's just say I was already rooting for Henry way before Ty appeared. I just couldn't make myself be interested in Ty. There was something really weird and odd about him. Ah, the cheerleaders. I mean, Carrie and Marie. They were really great girlfriends. AND, not forgetting the Woods family. Such a cute family.

Now, for the things that really bothered me. A LOT.

Jordan's naiveness and stubbornness regarding her father even though it was already explained why. I just wanted to shake her so bad and slapped her awake. Can't she see that her dad's actually worried for her well-being the most? Yes, he knows that Jordan is great in football but technically, she IS still a girl. Maybe that's one of the conflicts and plots of Catching Jordan. Understanding her father better and each other.

The other is the mention of sex. I was really disturbed at how casual it is mentioned in it like it is nothing but free candies to pass around. I didn't like it when Jordan had sex with Ty. It left a bitter taste in my mouth. And she still does it and continues her relationship with him even it was so clear that she loved Henry who was occupying her thoughts most of the time. I felt the focus on her "budding romance" with another person was a waste of time. It was like a relationship of convenience and I was further provoked at how easily it was ended in just one short scene.

How can someone who has given her virginity to another make something like this so flippant? Sex isn't supposed to be such a casual thing. I felt the author should have been more aware about this. It is not just Jordan, it's like practically the whole football guys and cheerleaders. Sex is suppose to be a beautiful thing between two people who loves or cares deeply for each other and who are committed. That's what I believe and I'm sorry if others do not agree. I just felt the build up should have been highlighted on Jordan and Henry. And the whole sleeping around thing was so unnecessary.

The book would have been perfect without it as I really enjoyed the whole football premise although I myself am clueless about football.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting and taking the time to comment. I really appreciate it! I love reading about your opinions and comments even if they differ from mine.

=D